Monday, May 15, 2006

J-O-B-S

It's that time. Back to reality for Kate! I have a job! Actually I have 2 jobs, but I'm not going to take one. I was first hired at Outback Steakhouse on Bay Street. Then I found out there's a test (or 2 or 3) before you can actually "work". You have to memorize every single thing on the menu (food, booze, whatever) for this test...know every single abbreviation and then the description. Hello...I'm 30 years old...I don't know how to study anymore and why do I need to work this hard for a part-time job? Um, yeah, no thanks. Maybe for a Graduate degree or something crazy like that. I would've done it tho if I didn't stumble upon this other job.

I start tomorrow at Savannah Blue Print. I'm not exactly sure what it all is tho. It's kind-of a digital printing type place...maybe like a Kinko's, but on a smaller scale and maybe not so many services. Is it a good or bad thing I have no idea what I'm getting into? haha! Anyways, they have two locations in Savannah...I'm starting downtown for the first week or so doing some training and then will move on out to the Southside (right by the malls and growing end of town) and will take on more of a management position. Now, don't ask too many questions about this, 'cause I have no clue. But it's a job and not at a corporate giant like Outback, teehee!

So now for Greg...he's got a sweet gig right now. Remember that place we went to on Friday? Savannah Blues. He's their new bartender/door man. Just a couple nights a week right now. In the mean time he can keep the house tidy and make me dinner. haha! It's a cool place and a easy+fun job for now. In the meantime, he's keeping his eyes peeled, but is going to take the postal exam in early June. It's a 2 hour 15 minute test and then if you pass that and some of their interviews he'll start as a part-time carrier. At that time you're on the list and you move up the list as other carriers retire or move or whatever they do...then you're on a full-time route. Not sure how long that will take, but it'll probably be worth the wait. Greg worked his first night on Saturday...it was a late night, the bars don't close until 3am here in Georgia. Plus he had to help clean up and get paid.

Saturday night while Greg was at work I got to have a cook-out with the neighbors of Bolton Place (that's what they call our row of condo's). Kim & Kashimi (don't quote me on the spelling of her name!) are next door to us and only come on vacation once a month or so. Art & K.T. are from Tucson and retired here, they live in a upper about 3 down. Mike just sold his condo and is moving 5 blocks north, closer to the bars as he said. He's a bachelor who likes the bars. Hey, his words not mine! He does have a pug tho! And then Kim had his mom along from home, so she was there too. It was fun and great food. As usual, the beer bread was a hit! :)

We went driving around today looking at some other communities to get ideas for the future and living situations. We don't know what we're going to do, hence the idea of driving around looking at budding areas. Lots of building going on...those typical little subdivisions and that. It rained this morning, got muggy for the afternoon and is raining again. It's been nice and warm of course! But now I'll be stuck inside all the time...I hope I get enough sun time on the weekends! I think I'll wait a few weeks or so and see how the "real" job goes and then possibly do part-time waitressing if needed or wanted. Tomorrow on my lunch break (I hope I get one!) I am to go over to Outback and tell them to take their test and, well, ya know. Haha!

I better have some Grape Kool-Aid and relax before my big day tomorrow. I'll leave you with a shot of the oldest oak in town...it's the Candler Oak...these are called Live Oaks because they always have green leaves on them all year round. The park is surrounded by them and they're all over town. They are the trees you see with the Spanish Moss all over.

This is in front of the old, old, old Candler hospital (hence, Candler Oak) which is right across from Forsyth Park, which means, it's just a few blocks from our house. Whew! From the link, you can see that Candler is now part of St. Joseph's and has moved from this relic. There are some offices in there, but it doesn't look to busy...kind-of like the old Lakeview Hospital in BD.

Toodle-loo magoo's,
The Working Girl

No comments: